Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Stalled, like an original VW in an intersection

Its been a few weeks of on and off again work, though the term "work" is being optimistic.  More of a puttering and fussing than work.


The frustration is from the last minute change in the room size/planning.  The old layout plan -above- had a return behind a wall into a spare bedroom.  This was going to also be a helix and staging yard in phase II of the build.  That's been scraped as my wife decided the bedroom is a no go area now.  So now I have to re-design which is causing me a lot of indecision.

Here's the current state of the layout, below.  Bench work is all built; however, modifications could be done.  The KW (Kitchener Waterloo) section is complete.  Don't really want to rip it all up as, I think, I did a pretty awesome job with the trackwork this time around.

Thoughts on a future plan -

  • not putting the Vaughan yard in - more scenic and a few towns
  • A "nolix" or no helix design.  Simply put, that means a 2 to 2.5% grade up and back to try to get to 12" higher than KW level, but on the Vaughan side.  Just realized I spelt Vaughan incorrectly in the picture.  "an" vs "n"
  • Staging would be underneath the 12" higher Vaughan side
  • Could use a tight helix by expanding the Maple benchwork to 30", using a 13.5 or 14" radius in the helix, then go up 16 or 18".  This would be instead of the 'no lix', allowing greater height
I guess my new givens would be -
  • staging
  • dramatic (tall) bridge scenes
  • escarpment terrain with imposing cliff faces... this kinda goes with the bridge idea
  • a few GO or Via Rail passenger stations
  • a couple industries for a bit of switching interest
  • two levels.
so until I figure out the new layout plan, I'm sitting in a non-motivated, uninspired funk.  





No comments:

Post a Comment