Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Trackwork

With the change of plans, mentioned way back in November, I had the opportunity to revisit my thoughts on code 40 vs code 55.   I've decided to have some code 40 on the spurs.  The only issue is that there are no commercial turnouts available, which isn't actually a bad thing.  I've always wanted to try to hand lay track and this gives me an excuse to do so.


I started with a Code 40 #4 turnout.  I bought the rail and a few tools from the great folks at FastTracks, downloaded the schematic from them as well and gave it a try.  I didn't put up the picture of that.  I expected to fail on it, so I wasn't surprised that I did, but that Code 40 is tiny!  And the folks on You Tube, and the  forums are all liars !  its hard to do !  So I tried again and got it more right than wrong, and then I did this curved one.  It even worked.  Ok, electrically it didn't, but after a bit of filing and swearing, more filing, walking away, more filing, swearing it worked !  Maybe the YouTube guys are right, it's pretty straightforward.



I tried my hand at two #10's in code 55.  A lot easier to work with but I still haven't perfected my techniques.  I watched some more YouTube videos and tried some different techniques.  It actually worked out pretty well.  Sure it took waaaaaaaaay too long but I'm not in a rush. That's what I tell myself at any rate.




Now my biggest complaint / problem is working out how to put on all the damn wooden ties.  I've tried gluing them to the paper and then using Pliobond to the turnout, thinkingit would be stronger than the paper to wood using a dollar store glue stick.  Either I'm totally doing it wrong or Pliobond sucks (I'm leaning on me not applying it correctly)

I've read that heat really helps Plio, and it says to shake or stir before using.  How you shake a tube is beyond me, but I'm game to try.  And using a soldering iron for heat. Tried both, still working it out.

Update- put the curved 40 into place and building the spurs it feeds Bacardi distilleries - I seem to be  having a theme with breweries and distilleries (in Waterloo I'm planning Brick Brewery, and Seagram's)...hmmm makes you wonder no?



Well, lots more to be posted shortly !


No comments:

Post a Comment