Sunday, January 2, 2011

Another Digitrax installation

Well, tried another decoder install. Had to research the case removal again. The Kato P42 Genesis was on sale at the LHS at a price I just couldn't pass up. Unfortunately there aren't any matching LRC Via Rail cars so I had to settle for other Via Rail cars but there is precedent in the real world to support this.

The KATO P-42 "Genesis" VIA RAIL

So with the help of Reality Reduced I found out all the needed tricks to pull off this decoder installation without any issues. He used a sound decoder, but I went basic with the Digitrax DN163K0A.  It was a breeze - well, mostly. The biggest issue turned out to be getting my damn fingernail beneath the kapton tape end to get it off the decoder!! Finding the end of the tape wasn't pretty either. All things considered, though it worked out really well. Then I threw it on the track and watched her run.  Worked great !  I've got some factory installed decoders in my other Atlas locomotives, all from Lenz and I have to say, I see the reason that people wouldn't want to have factory installed decoders.  The Digitrax are awesome - they run incredibly smooth, which I think is thanks to the BEMF.  I'm working with JRMI's decoderpro to work out the kinks in my twin C630's.  I think the electrical contacts need cleaning/fixing, as they suck on the track. 
 A picture of the real 4500, retired from CPR in '93.  She's still working on the Western New York Pennsylvania Railroad

My two C-630's in their maroon colours

No comments:

Post a Comment