Monday, August 9, 2010

Weekend work

I've gotten my track laying technique down so the pace is picking up.  Just as I was starting to think that I'm going to be still laying track into 2011.

Here are my steps -

Roadbed work
  • glue down roadbed (using the clear caulk)
  • use a can of soup or whatever - I'm partial to a tuna can, classier I think - to roll the roadbed flat in the glue
  • let it dry for a while with weights (same cans of course!)
Track work
  • get the small track connectors ready - meaning that they can go onto the track tightly.  I'm using the ME code 55 connectors and they're really tight, so much so that they require a bit of 'work in' before they'll go on.
  • Weather the switches if they're in visible ares.  I'm using the ME weathering solution.  The flex track is already weathered.
  • solder tracks together if its a big curve, or just a long stretch.
  • fit all the pieces together, work the curves, make sure the ties are evened out after all the bending and such
  • move everything out of the way, put down a thin layer of caulk. 
  • connect the track to the existing sections, make sure everything is ok, then put weights on the new gluing areas.
The nice thing about (finally) getting comfortable laying track is the ability to make changes and do things on the fly a bit.  I added an extra turnout in the southern staging area.  I checked my inventory of switches and I've got a couple spares, so bam! done.

So Saturday and Sunday I managed to get the Fergus industrial spurs complete.





I also fixed up some track issues on the main line, put in some more electrical feeders.

No comments:

Post a Comment